There is a Metro Council Meeting tonight at 6:30 pm. An agenda has been provided and you can watch the meeting live via channel 3 or stream live on your electronic devices. Also, please do not respond to this email... You can reach me at [email protected].
Update: Thank you all for your warm wishes and your congratulations upon the birth of our son. Your kind words and uplifting messages were a great surprise as. I have been out of office on paternal leave and I returned on September 20. I am in the process of following up from your emails and calls. If I haven't gotten back to you, I ask for your patience. I'm working through several correspondences and I'll get to you very soon.
Thank you District 21 for your support, votes, and most importantly, your trust in me to serve and lead our community for another four years!
Let's Get Back to Work!
A New Term Begins Tonight!
Let's start off with some good news... At the close of last term, I was able to finally get the funding legislation passed for two projects in our District. I've worked on both of these projects for the past four years and they are now in process. Resurfacing, paving, and pedestrian safety upgrades have started on 31st Ave N near Centennial Park. I'm working on scheduling a meeting with neighbors to review the plans and get any of your questions answered. We've also started work on Dr. DB Todd Jr. Blvd and Clarksville Hwy. (from Jefferson St at DB Todd to Ed Temple at Clarksville Hwy). We will also be having a meeting with neighbors to discuss this project as well.
As the term begins, I'd like to remind you of the Capital Improvements Budget process that happens every October. By the end of the month, I will need to compile my capital improvements wish list that will be added to the city's overall wish list. The way capital improvements work, such as the projects listed in the paragraph above, Council Members must add these items to a Capital Improvements Budget (often referred as the CIB). Once these items are vetted and a value is associated with each project, they can then be considered for the mayor's Capital Spending Plan (CSP). The CSP is when monies are budgeted to complete said CIB project. Not all items will make it to the CSP, for instance, the Clarksville Hwy and 31st Ave N projects have been on the CIB for my entire tenure in office, and just in February of 2022 they were added to the mayors CSP. I say all of this to say, if there are any Capital Improvements you see that are needed in your neighborhood, please email them to me and I'll review.
What I've Been Up To:
- In late June, Damita and I welcomed our son - That has been where the majority of my time has been spent this summer.
- I'm working with NDOT regarding several traffic calming requests that have come my way. If you see traffic calming needs in your area, contact me and also, complete the Traffic Calming application. Click here for the website to the application.
- I'm working with Planning and NDOT on a North Nashville infrastructure and land use study. We are working to see where we can add value in the area for our traffic mobility, pedestrian mobility, overall infrastructure health and needs evaluation, and how this all ties into future development. The most important piece is how this will tie into the community that we have now and growing this community for all neighbors.
- I'm working to schedule a community meeting for the neighbors along the 31st Ave N corridor to learn more about the street upgrade project.
- I'm also working to schedule a community meeting for the neighbors along the Dr. DB Todd Jr. and Clarksville Hwy corridors to learn more about the street upgrade project.
- I received a call from NDOT yesterday regarding a long talked about project at Jefferson St. and 28th Ave N. Several years ago, right before I took office, Public Works/NDOT and TDOT held a meeting to discuss a round-a-bout at this intersection. I read the minutes and was not convinced that this was a priority project based on some of the statements from neighbors. Once I visit with NDOT regarding this proposed project, I will follow up with you to host a community meeting and share the details that I receive.
Upcoming Community Events
What's Happening tonight:
RS2023-5 -A resolution extending the time within which the Tax Incentive and Abatement Study and Formulating Committee shall study and submit its complete report and recommendations. This is an affordable housing item that is studying the tax abatement options for building affordable housing.
RS2023-24 -A resolution accepting an in-kind grant from Vanderbilt University to the Metropolitan Government, acting by and through the Metropolitan Board of Parks and Recreation, to replace the current video board at the Centennial Sportsplex.
RS2023 (LATE FILED) -A resolution honoring the life of Mr. Arnett H. Bodenhamer, Sr.
BL2023-4 -Title: An ordinance approving a participation agreement between the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, acting by and through the Nashville Department of Transportation and Multimodal Infrastructure ("NDOT"), and the Cheatham County Railroad Authority, for the rehabilitation and repair of the overhead railroad bridge crossing Albion Street, and an upgrade to Albion Street under the bridge
BL2023-41 -A resolution renewing the support and commitment of the Metropolitan Council toward principles constituting a Community Covenant with the aim of creating opportunities for all residents of Metropolitan Nashville to thrive.
Dates To Remember:
- Clarksville Hwy Paving Project Community Meeting
- October 19
- 6:00 pm
- North Police Precinct (Tentative)
I invite all District 21 residents to reach out to me directly with any information or concerns in our community. Email is the best form of communication, but invite you to call me as well. My contact information is below.
Contact information: Email - [email protected] / Phone: 615.946.9700